Search This Blog

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Third time's the charm...

It's been well over a year since I was successfully plugging away on my rotation.  My body was slimming down, my health was improving, I had lots of energy, and then the big surprise came along.  It was around the 1st of August that I took a pregnancy test and found out I was expecting.

The first few months I was able to stay on my rotation, but then everything that was safe for me like fish and salads literally made me sick to my stomach.  Despite the rashes and reactions, the bad food still tasted better and had less of a nauseating effect on me and so I cheated for the majority of my pregnancy.  Because I was so sick all the time I also fell off with exercising.  Despite the lack of exercise and horrible diet I managed to gain only about 20 lbs.  The last few weeks of my pregnancy, though, I gained about 8 pounds and began swelling up like a balloon.  It turns out I had choleostasis and ended up having to do an emergency c-section because of problems with my son's vitals.

Once I was cut open it became clear that the vitals being so wacky was due to his over 100 cm long umbilical cord being wrapped around his head 4 times.  The kid apparently got bored.  After he was born he had a number of issues with his breathing and heart rate so he was taken away to be put in the NICU for a little over a week.  I spent most of my time visiting him and pumping to keep my milk supply up.  What I was finding, though, was that I was running myself down and getting more depressed with every day he was in the NICU.  I felt helpless.

We finally got him home, but he wouldn't breastfeed.  It was a huge dissapointment to not be able to breast feed, but in the long run I'm just glad to know my son is healthy and home with me.  He's over 3 months old and I'm finding myself in a really good place jobwise, love the MA program I'm in, and am ready to get back to where I was heading last year with my diet and exercise.  Tomorrow is my first day in a new workout group that will take place for 8 weeks doing a program called PiYo.  It seemed like doing the program and also getting back on rotation were 2 activities that go hand in hand.

I'll start posting recipes again and update with any extras I find out about as I get back on the diet.  I feel determined to help get myself back to pre-pregnancy health for both myself and my son.  He's totally worth me being at my best and, well, so am I.  Tomorrow is day 1 - chicken, beans, quinoa, carrots, spinach, etc...   Tomorrow night I'm having chicken with green beans and a dairy free peppercorn sauce - I'll post the recipe tomorrow- and day 2 I'm making Thai Cream of Leeks Soup from a recipe I found on Yummly - of course mine will use lime instead of lemon and no ginger.

No comments:

Post a Comment