Search This Blog

Monday, February 11, 2019

Shirataki and tuna recipe then some updates

I use lots of recipes from blogs, but I loathe the paragraphs that I have to sift thru to get to the recipe.  I'm a single mom now and, let's be honest, ain't noboby got time for the deep thoughts and social diaries.  So, I'm revising my own blog to reflect my own preferences.  Feel free to keep reading if interested, otherwise enjoy this super simple and tasty recipe that's dairy and gluten free.

Easy shirataki and tuna toss (2 servings)
Ingredients
1 can tuna, drained (break it up before putting in the pan)
1 package shirataki noodles (drained and rinsed 3 times)
2 tsp lime juice
2 tbs olive oil
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1 tbsp rice vinegar - I actually just eyeball it and add to taste
salt and pepper

Heat up the olive oil in a pan and add garlic when the oil is hot.  Cook the garlic for 30-45 seconds on medium heat.  Add tuna, noodles, and lime juice to the garlic.  Toss and then add the vinegar, salt, and pepper to taste.

I found a similar recipe online that included spaghetti noodles, parsley, and lemon juice.  Despite the fact that I don't fully follow my allergy diet restrictions, this was a recipe I ate and it didn't give me a stomach ache afterwards and the ingredients are all fairly healthy.

I started to go vegetarian again, and even tried an Impossible burger.  I love the idea of eating a plant based diet, but I'm finding lots of challenges in finding foods that don't have wheat or soy.  I decided to try the Impossible burger and see if I felt any reaction to it - sometimes my sensitivity is off the chart, other times the reactions aren't noticeable.  I pushed my luck with this one - my sensitivities have heightened lately for other environment allergies, though, so now I know when to avoid taking chances.  I got a massive sinus headache, my stomach was cramping, and my mood took a major turn for the worse.

Eating a vinegar dish the day after probably wasn't the best idea - the vinegar feeds the sugars in my system and that feeds the inflammation and that inflammation feeds my anxiety.  My sister is a doctor and while she was always eyes-rolling-all-the-way-to-the-back-of-her head skeptical, when I follow certain rules and avoid certain foods and even food combinations I feel and look better. 

After gaining pregnancy and post partum weight, I didn't have the energy to do the shopping and cooking necessary to stay on my allergy diet.  So, I found a doctor with a weight loss program.  Being allergic to most every ingredient in the "food" patients are supposed to buy for the diet, they ultimately put me on a low fat, mostly protein diet.  I lost a lot of weight, but I discovered such a strict diet is not easily maintained when I had a growing child who's own food needs were changing and our schedules were growing busier every month.  My father died while I was in the process of the protein diet and I simply lost the last few ounces of self discipline I'd been using to stick to the diet in those last few months. 

So, I'm now trying to find something that's completely in the grey.  Heavily vegetarian, but will allow for meat on occasions.  More than anything, though, the best I've ever felt the least limited in terms of flavorful foods was when I adhered to a few simple rules - eat plenty of healthy fats, stick to 5 ingredient or less foods, eat mostly fresh or nearly fresh foods, and try to break bread as much as possible with others who share a daring palette and an appreciation for a simpler dining experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment