Search This Blog

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Jicama with lotus root (day 3 recipe)

Day 3 is one of my favorite days.  It sounds ridiculous but I love this day because I get to put yummy rice milk in my coffee AND I eat a giant bowl of popcorn for breakfast.  Lunch usually consists of buffalo cooked with green salsa, water chestnuts, bamboo, and sweet corn, all over rice noodles.  Yummers for sure.

Dinner gets a little more complicated or boring depending on my mood.  One dish that I've discovered and is honestly one of my favorites consists of the following

1 peeled jicama - depending on how much you want to eat - cut into long square sections (shaped like french fries)
a handful of lotus root pieces
2 tbs avocado oil or rice oil or corn oil

Heat the oil up then throw in the jicama and lotus root.  Stir frequently until the jicama becomes soft but firm. The whole thing takes less than 20 minutes to put together and it's delicious.  Lotus root absorbs flavor yet still holds onto a unique taste of it's own.  It's kind of like a potato, but so much better - kind of chewy but crunchy too.  If you don't want to use the entire jicama you can always save a part of it for desert or a snack later on and add palm sugar or a lime chili powder to it and eat it raw.  Mexico City made me fall in love with jicama while I lived there so being able to use it within my rotation diet makes me very happy.

Both veggies are touted as rooting vegetables and so eating foods like this can be extremely helpful during those times when I'm needing some help grounding.  I spend A LOT of time in the upper chakras which, without fail, leads to significant imbalances both emotionally and physically.

While this rotation diet can honestly be a giant, expensive pain in my ass, it has also forced me to look at how foods affect me on the whole and how important it is to know what I'm eating.  Maintaining that awareness throughout the day can't be exhausting, though, the payoffs are well worth the extra hoops I'm jumping through if it means I'm healthier.

No comments:

Post a Comment