Search This Blog

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Yogrit by Tia Nia (day 2 delight!!!)

Considering the many alterations I've had to make to MULTIPLE recipes that I found on the internet, I think I've finally found a starting place for future yogurt made at home.  The best part of this?  The whole thing for me is allergy free. Hells yeah!!!  No more having to worry about pectin!!!

My day 2 allows for hemp and tapioca so I made a special batch made of exactly these 2 things - I can either add it to my Avoguava hemp smoothie or eat by itself.  For other days I simply alter the recipe.

The recipe
The ratio:
1 heaping tbsp of tapioca flour or arrowroot for every 2 cups of nondairy milk
 - you can also use Agar Agar or even arrowroot.  The tapioca flour is the cheapest I think.
Whisk the above together - for tapioca be sure to whisk until the flour no longer clumps
Put in a sauce pan - I use a medium sized one because I only do a few cups of milk at a time.  Adjust the size for the amount of milk used.
Heat the mixture to 180 degrees or until it starts to boil and the bubbling starts to build up.
Remove from the heat and let cool to 110 or below - this took maybe 45 minutes, and a skin forms on the top.
Once it's at the cooled temp, add in the culture starter - be sure the yogurt has cooled to at least 110 degrees otherwise the cultures will not survive the heat.
Put in jars and place in the yogurt maker.
Leave in the machine for at least 8 hours - leave in for longer if you're wanting a more sour taste.  When it tastes the way you want it to, place in the fridge and let it set.  From what I've read this yogurt will last 5 to 8 days.

I did a lot of research on culture starters.  If you can have dairy or if pectin isn't an issue then you can always go to the store and buy some yogurt then take some from that yogurt to start the culture.  Pectin is typically made from lemons, apples, oranges or a mixture of a whole bunch of fruits and as luck would painfully have it I'm allergic to just about everything that pectin is made from and so I try to avoid that mess like the plague. The starter I finally decided on was GI Prostart - the website is below - and really liked it because it's dairy free and also free of soy, wheat, etc.....  It's kind of expensive and they have to ship it in a cold pack, but ultimately if it means I have more freedom to make yogurt then I'm willing to spend some extra cash.

http://www.giprohealth.com/giprostart.aspx




No comments:

Post a Comment