Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Monk Fish and Sea Urchin over rice noodles (day 3)

Initially we went to Seafood Thyme for fresh Tilapia - my usual go to dish that doesn't require much preparation to make it taste fantastic.  I noticed a nasty pile of Monk Fish - it's a day 3 food - and asked Tressie to give me a run down.  She said it's considered the poor man's lobster, it's firm and holds together even while being grilled. She had me at the lobster part.

I rubbed just a little bit of corn oil and sprinkled just a little bit of sea salt on it before I steamed it for about 10-15 minutes.  I used my ninja cooker and made Notta pasta rice noodles  along with the fish.  The piece de resistance was the four pieces from the sea urchin that I bought at the Merc in Lawrence last weekend.  The guy in the seafood department told me to cut the top with sharp scissors.  I couldn't find any shears that were sharp enough so I took out my Wustof knife prepared to open that urchin up.  I sawed - for lack of a better word - until I realized that knife wasn't doing anything.  I finally started just pulling the shell from the middle and breaking pieces off  and then took a really small spoon to dig out the meat - it's the orange pieces that look kind of like tongues.

I ate the pieces in conjunction with the monk fish and dipped it in some melted  Earth Balance soy free butter - normally I'm supposed to only eat butter on my Day 4 but I was eager to try out my poor man's lobster with some butter.  I went through the urchin pretty quickly and it was divine.  The Monk fish was also pretty fantastic.  It's about 1.5 grams of fat per serving and while its raw appearance is pretty nasty, once cooked it's become a gorgeous white, firm fish.  The rice noodles added a little something extra , though, any past would probably have been a tasty addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment